Friday 27 August 2010

On Shoes

Shoe categories

Shoes are a hot topic for many if not most women, an all-important accessory and for some, a compulsive addiction in and of themselves. Yet, I would venture to suggest that for a salsa addict, dance shoes hold even greater importance.

With regards to ordinary shoes, and from the point of view of a normal, non-shoe crazy woman, it is important to note that shoes must be subdivided into categories. You cannot count your shoes and assess your love of this accessory by presenting a simple total number of pairs. No, the number of pairs of shoes a woman possesses should first be broken down into categories. Indeed, under the shoe bracket there are work shoes, holiday shoes (sandals, flip flops and the like), sports and utility shoes (e.g. running, hiking etc), comfortable walk-around shoes, boots and high heels.

Boots occupy their own category. While they can often be accommodated to fit into the work shoe or high heel categories, wearing a pair of boots is a statement. Fact.

High heels also stand alone. You might go so far as having clubbing heels, wedding and special occasion heels or ridiculous "coup de coeur" heels that were bought on a loving whim. My shoe love however does not go so far as to necessitate sub-categories within this segment. I must however confess to owning four pairs that almost defy common sense.


My favourite shoe category

From where I stand, I classify as a rather normal female shoe owner. Not so true when it comes to salsa shoes. I spend more money on salsa shoes than most, I renew my salsa shoes more often than most and I love my salsa shoes much more than I do any of my normal shoes.

It is hardly my fault. From a comfort perspective, the dance shoe is very simply designed to keep your feet happy. The pliable base, the perfect grip underfoot, the straps that keep your heel perfectly attached all contribute to creating the perfect mix, only rarely found in the common street, party or work shoe. I won't confess to mambo basic or spin testing every shoe I try on prior to purchase. I will confess however, to actively making peace with the failure of many an eventual purchase to double as a salsa shoe.


Salsa heels

With regards to heel height, there's an active consideration to be undertaken - how tall are you and how hard do you want to make it for guys to get their hands above your head to lead you into triple spins? I don't have a height problem - well, I do, I generally think that discounting my ego (the mythical creature that I like to believe sits on top of my head), I'm pretty vertically challenged. However, I have noticed that the speed at which I spin with shorter dance partners varies quite considerably whether I'm wearing flats, two and a half inch heels or four inch ones. Incidentally, for those not in the know, spin-speed is inversely related to inches. There are times, when I will guiltlessly sacrifice my partners' energy levels to be a couple of inches taller. What can I say, it keeps my ego happy.

The point to be taken from my diatribe about heel height is that it really doesn't matter. So long as you are comfortable, you can wear whatever you like. Well almost. You should never buy or wear (in my very humble opinion) salsa shoes with a short, chunky heel where the section of the heel that touches the floor is a square with an 8cm diameter (akin to 4 inches). Case closed. Firstly, they are not attractive. Secondly, you get more stability in jazz shoes. Thirdly, they are really NOT attractive. If you're looking for shock and awe on the ugly scale, go for this model of shoes with a closed toe. No comment.

I'm all for the salsa heel being wider than usual for added stability and I realise that those wearing these shoes are likely to be concerned about their height. But there are other ways to get added stability or lose height: wear jazz shoes. If height is your only issue - men will deal with it, wear what you like!


Favourite brands

Let me introduce you to my favourite brand of salsa shoe: Alvarez Dance Shoes. They're from Italy and as far as I can gather (at least in part) handmade. Not only are they beautiful - Italian shoes, need I say more? - but they have a little foot pad to release the pressure from the myriad of steps you'll be making. Oh yeah, and Mr Alvarez Jr is pretty hot. You can buy these shoes online, but it's best to get them at congresses where you will additionally benefit from trying them on, avoiding the heinous port and packaging fee, and the ability to negotiate a discount with the seller. If you're lucky, you'll get to dance with him an his son as well!

Bear in mind however that these are by no means the cheapest shoes available and moreover, they do not last forever (cue: tears dropping down my cheeks). I think I'm on my fifth pair in three years (obviously, I've gone through a number of other branded pairs as well during this time) and I've now figured out which models have higher durability - though not without some repairs and super glue along the way. Indeed, the distinctively wonderful little piece of foot padding described above has the unfortunate effect of weakening the hold of the straps at the front of the shoe. As a dancer, I'm sure you'll appreciate that these straps are in fact essential to keeping your toes in position. No amount of super glue will save you once these become detached.

Having said that, any comments I make about durability should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think it's fair to say that I dance fairly frequently. It's also fair to say that I was completely and utterly shocked when a friend explained how she had gone for two years living off the same shoe. Seriously? Mine would have long since fallen off my feet if I hadn't bought new ones before the two year mark. Perhaps my admission that one pair of shoes only lasted me three months was a little shocking too (cue: guilty addict face)…

So comments about durability aside, as this is clearly a highly subjective variable, Alvarez Dance Shoes are fully and utterly worth buying, despite the price tag and whatever I might say about them eventually dying on me, because…(wait for it - drum roll - wait for it)…because, ultimately, they are the only brand of shoes I have ever bought, that I could instantly wear for a marathon 7 hours of non-stop congress dancing (a big thank you to those who organised the Athens Salsa Festival), without one single blister! Granted, the soles of my feet were a little sore - but then anybody's would be if they were only to stand in one place for that length of time.

If I had to recommend another brand of shoes - though God knows, I'm a pretty loyal Alvarez customer so most definitely haven't tried them all - it would be Burju's shoes. Instantly recognisable to any female salsa addict, many a dance floor has seen women point to other women's shoes with an enquiring smile. The words "Burju?" are quietly uttered and the positive nod in reply is sufficient to make both share a knowing smile.

Burju shoes are pretty, they come in a million shapes and sizes and they have the great advantages of being cheaper, made in China and lasting a great deal longer than my much loved Italian brand. A little wearing-in may well be necessary, but it's worth it to rack up those knowing smiles as you walk around the dance floor. By wearing your Burju shoes, you unofficially gain entry to the club of other wearers. There are only personal psychological and mostly imagined benefits to being part of this club, but what the hell, they make you feel like you're dancing on air, and that, in itself, is well worth it!


And thus ends my diatribe on shoes. There's no doubt more to say, but as I said in the beginning of this post, I'm not that into shoes. What I'm really after is the fact that my perfect dance shoes enable me to move exactly how I want, without asserting their presence at the end of my limbs. Except to look pretty of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment