Thursday 14 March 2013

On Salsa Addicted Festival, Timisoara | Romania - March 2013



Overall  Best festival I have been to in a while. It’s been two weeks and I’m still on a dance high. I have such bad PCD (post congress depression) that I couldn’t bring myself to dance at SOS this past Sunday – the music just wouldn’t speak to me after a string of amazing DJ sets backed up by amazing dances. More than twice over the weekend in Timisoara, I felt a distinct internal smile while dancing. Not from the dance itself which was wonderful, but as the thought “it doesn’t get much better than this whole weekend” passed through my mind. Fantastic DJ sets and unbelievable social dancing all night long. Really chilled atmosphere. Really great time. I’m battling the idea of spreading the word vs. keeping the secret of this awesome festival to myself to preserve it from change. I can’t wait to go back.

Priceless moments:
-       Dancing with Terry to one of my favourite songs (and randomly being asked afterwards if I was a bachata teacher?!)
-       Feeling like a princess from a dance with Nuno (he has that effect on people)
-       Having more “wow” dances than I would have timidly asked for with Brian Lieber
-       Dancing the most amazing cha cha with a Romanian DJ and being asked whether I was a west coast dancer (not yet, but I want to be!)
-       Multiple westie dances to zouk and mini westie tuition moments

 

Prices

1. Flights  Cheap flights to Timisoara via Luton on Wizzair, but only if you fly out on Thursday and back on Tuesday. Otherwise it’s double the price via Munich.  

2. Pass prices – I think I got my full pass for about €90 doing a double pass combo deal. Very reasonable I think given that that’s how much some party passes cost these days.

3. Hotels  I stayed in the official congress hotel, the Boavista. It is a 5 minute walk from the party venue and the closest hotel. The hotel costs c.€40 per night per room but I think you can get 50% off by booking via the SAF website.

4. Water  It was 6 lei per water/soft drink, that’s about £1.10 for a water bottle or Pepsi. You could bring in water during the day or night, but they clamped down a little on this practice at the Sunday night party.


Venue

1. Floor  Perfect wooden floor (large) put down for the occasion. No reason to dance anywhere else. The conditions were perfect in my humble opinion.

2. Number of dance floors  The main floor was salsa which was mainly LA/NY style. The odd Cuban, bachata were thrown in. There was a separate kizomba/bachata room but having not bothered to peek inside, I’m not sure how large it was. Apparently they played sets of 5 kizomba then 5 bachatas – I understood from feedback that it would have been better if these had been mixed up a bit more. On Sunday night, there was no kizomba/bachata room so they played a lot more in the main room to keep everyone happy. This actually worked quite well.

3. Workshops vs. parties - Same venue for everything. Bit of crowding in some of the more popular workshops (e.g. Alafia) which should have been afforded a bigger room.

4. Show seats. If you arrived early, you got a seat. They were open to everyone. The others could stand or perch on tables on the side.

5. Show visibility. Very good from where I was sitting!

6. Workshop visibility. Great in the main room and less crowded workshops. I gave up on the Alafia workshop because I couldn’t see any of them. 

7. Workshop organisation. Depends on the teachers I guess but no real crowding issues at the front.

Only issue with the venue – People are allowed to smoke inside in Romania! Not great for asthmatic friends of mine. But ultimately if you stayed away from the bar, it was ok.


Crowd

1. Workshops. Good level, busy classes.

2. Parties  Massive French contingent, busload of Croatians and a whole lot of Romanians. Quite a lot of dancing artists also taking up the floor. High level of social dancing, lots of musicality brimming around!

3. Size  Medium to large – You could pretty much always see where people were and grab them for dances when you wanted them. The boy/girl balance was such that I never had to run after anyone for a dance and at times even felt like I was being sought out. When Mauri played one of my favourite songs I turned around and found Terry happily ready to dance with me. This sort of thing would never happen in Berlin/Amsterdam/Rovinj/Zurich. But in Timi, we locked eyes, he put his hand out and I got to have a awesome dance with one of the most musical men out there. Bliss. And I have multiple such stories from the whole weekend!

4. After parties  The parties ended at 7am. Breakfast opened at 7am. Call it perfect. The Boavista breakfast had yummy fried eggs, breads and then cereals, cheese and meets and spreads as well…Lots to choose from but the friend eggs were the best!


Line-up

1. Quality of teaching  Great list of artists, not too much riff raff. Great classes all around.

2. Choice of workshops  4 workshops per hour, usually at least one or two were bachata/kizomba/semba etc.

3. Number of shows  Enough. Not too many, but enough. I actually saw them all (for once!). No shows on Thursday, only 4 on Sunday (no chairs) but about an hour of shows on the other two nights. There were some quality performances and some premieres in the mix as well. Some stage accidents unfortunately (boob issues, falling over, choreo problems) but good recoveries from all.

4. Artists on the dance floor. The congress generally had a really friendly vibe with few snobs and show offs. The artists were surprisingly present on the dance floor and I think only Adolfo and Tania put in a very limited showing by coming out with sneakers on and practically only dancing with each other before disappearing again. Didn’t even see much of them at the bar!

5. DJs. Great lineup with little drinking on the job. Willy (AMS), Willy (FR), Mauri, Romy and Marten (Cluj). Honestly could not have asked for better music. Generally medium speed, not overly fast, not quite enough cha cha (but realise that is crowd dependent). There were times when I had to stop dancing to wipe my brow but had the sweat not stopped me, my feet would have likely started sending me messages!

6. Bands. No live music.


Location

1. Central location? The venue was c.5 minutes walk from the hotel. From the hotel to the centre of town it was a 20 minute walk, 15 minutes in a cab and a cost of £2 to the sole shopping mall (Lulius Mall) on the other side of town – free wifi, foodhall and shopping!

2. Distance from the airport  20-30minutes by car depending on the time of travel. Roughly 40 lei, so £8 in total to be divided amongst passengers 

3. Time to London - Approximately 2.5 hours on a direct flight.

4. Number of days off work. Three to four days required, depending on whether you want to go to work after landing at 8:30am at Luton on the day after a congress. I took the day off, had a 2 hour nap, went to bed early and finished recovering. Overall taking a little bit more time off just helped the whole experience be more relaxing and enjoyable!

For more information, check out the website here: http://www.salsaaddictedfestival.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment